Should the Color of Kitchen Cabinets be Lighter or Darker than your Wall Paint?
One of the most exciting tasks while designing a home is selecting the paint colours. A wise choice of colours on your kitchen cabinets in modern kitchen design not only lends it more aesthetic value but also makes your space look brighter and more prominent than it is. One of the questions where people get confused is – should they opt for dark or light-coloured kitchen cabinets? The colour you select should ideally maintain the warmth, enhance the look and feel, and of course, the overall effect you want to achieve.
So here are the points to keep in mind while deciding light versus dark-coloured kitchen cabinets:
A light colour on cabinets tends to provide the space with an immaculate and open feel while darker hues give it a more dramatic look.
- Light shade cabinets are a better choice in smaller spaces or kitchens, especially when there is less natural light. Lighter colours like white and off-white cabinets make the kitchen look and feel bigger.
- On the contrary, a large space that has ample sunlight can be a good bet for dark-coloured kitchen cabinets.
- In case your kitchen has one or more walls with red texture or exposed bricks, then white, off-white or some lighter cabinets would create a beautiful contrast.
- Lighter kitchens look classy and timeless. However, if you love the look of lacquer, it is best to mix light and dark tones along with some wooden cabinetry as wooden finish adds a touch of warmth while lending some variety and classy feel.
- Lighter shade cabinets are tough to clean and maintain as stains and wear and tear would be more easily visible. So it would help if you spent more time cleaning it at regular intervals.
- Dark kitchens or cabinets are linked with more luxurious homes. And if your space is ample, then you can choose a dark colour.
- Lighter cabinetry enables you to add a dash of other colours as accents while keeping it simple.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of having Light Cabinets
Evergreen and never out of fashion
Choosing a lighter colour for your kitchen cabinets in your modern kitchen design helps give a more open and clean look. Also, it remains timeless and doesn’t go out of trend or style.
ALSO READ: Aspects that Make German Kitchens Stand Out
Lighter hues are versatile
White or light-coloured kitchen cabinets look good with any paint on the walls, counter or backsplash. The lighter colour on cabinets works well with a modern, traditional, or contemporary look. In case you want to update your kitchen look frequently, then it is a lot easier if you have a lighter colour scheme.
Maintaining whites is tougher
A white, off-white or grey kitchen will show the dirt, oil greasiness, smudges, and food particles quite easily. If you small children or a big family, then white may not be the right choice as you would have to keep cleaning it often. Lighter shades also show ageing signs like cracks and discolouration very quickly.
Dark kitchen cabinets
Dark kitchen cabinetry would add richness, formality, and depth to your space. If designed well, dark cabinets could look gorgeous. But having said that, it requires more skill in planning to make it work with all elements.
Whatever colour you opt for, you must find a way to create some contrast with your selection of colours and various finishes you use. It will make your kitchen look more exciting and timeless. You could also look for designs for handmade kitchens in London to get a better insight into this.